1. A safe prescription. Developing nurse, midwife and allied health profession (NMAHP) prescribing in NHS Scotland. Progress report (Scottish Government, August 2010)”. http://www.nes.scot.nhs.uk/media/555947/a_safe_prescription_progress_report_2010.pdf
2. Affara F (2003). ICN Framework and Core Competencies for the Family Nurse. Geneva, Switzerland: International Council of Nurses.
3. Berry d, Courtenay M & Bersellini E (2006) Attitudes towards, and information needs in relation to, supplementary nurse prescribing in the UK: an empirical study. Journal of Clinical Nursing 15, 22–28.
4. Brown MA and Draye MA (2003). Experiences of Pioneer Nurse Practitioners in Establishing Advanced Practice Roles. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 35. 391-397.
5. Buchan J and Calman L (2004). Implementing Nurse Prescribing. Ganeva, Switzerland: International Council of Nurses.
6. Buchan J and Calman L (2004). Skill-Mix and Policy Change in the Health Workforce: Nurses in Advanced Roles. OECD Health Working Papers NO. 17. 7. Carey N, Stenner K (2011). Does non-medical prescribing make a difference to patients? Nursing Times; 107:26, 14-16.
8. Carey N, Stenner K (2011). Does non-medical prescribing make a difference to patients? Nursing Times; 107:26, 14-16.
9. Courtenay, M. and Griffiths, M. Nurse prescribing the story so far. Journal of Community Nursing 2003; 17(10): 4-8.
10. Drennan J et al (2009). Independent evaluation of the nurse and midwife prescribing initiative. http://www.ncnm.ie/files/prescribing/IndEvalPrescribing09.pdf
11. Goodyear, R. (2000). The nurse practitioner in the US. In M. Gott (Ed.) Nursing Practice, Policy and Change (pp 85-114). Oxon, UK: Radcliffe Medical Press.
12. Implementing Nurse Prescribing. Trends and Issues In Nursing, ICN 2010.
13. International Council of Nurses (2001). Guidelines On Shaping Effective Health Policy. Geneva, Switzerland: International Council of Nurses.
14. International Council of Nurses (2004). Guidelines On the Nurse Entre/Intrapreneur Providing Nursing Service. Geneva, Switzerland: International Council of Nurses.
15. Latter S and Courtenay M (2004). Effectiveness of nurse prescribing: a review of the literature. Journal of Clinical Nursing. 13, 26-32.
16. Latter S. & Courtenay M. (2004) Effectiveness of nurse prescribing: a review of the literature. Journal of Clinical Nursing 13, 26–32.
17. Lucille A. Joel, EdD, RN APN, C, FAAN (2004) Advanced Practice Nursing: Essentials for Role, Philadelphia: F.A. Davis, 681 pages.
18. Marie-Laure Delamaire and Gaetan Lafortune Nurses in Advanced Roles: A Description And Evaluation of Experiences In 12 Developed Countries; OECD Health Working Paper No. 54.
19. National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties (1996). Scope and Standards of Advanced Practice Registered Nursing. Washington, DC: American Nurses Association.
20. National Prescribing Centre (2010) Non-medical prescribing by nurses, optometrists, pharmacists, physiotherapists, podiatrists and radiographers. A quick guide for commissioners. http://www.npc.nhs.uk/non_medical/resources/NMP_QuickGuide.pdf
21. Percival E (2001). Self-Regulation for Nurses: Issues and Opportunities. Geneva, Switzerland: International Council of Nurses.
22. Schober M, Affara FA. Global perspective on advanced practice. in L. Joel (Ed.), Advanced practice nursing: Essentials for ole development. (2009) 2 nd Edition, Philadelphia: F.A.Davis.
23. Schroeder P (1991). Approaches to Nursing Standards: Volume II. The Encyclopedia of Nursing Care Quality.: Gaithersburg, MD: Aspen.
24. Shaw S (2004). Globalization and Health System Reform: Implications and Strategies for Nursing: Geneva, Switzerland: International Council of Nurses.
25. Stenner K et al (2011) Consultation between nurse prescribers and patients with diabetes in primary care: a qualitative study of patient views. International journal of Nursing Studies; 48:1,37-46.
26. United Nations (2010). The Millennium Development Goals Report. New York: United Nations.
27. Venning P et al (2000) Randomised controlled trial comparing cost effectiveness of general practitioners and nurse practitioners in primary care. BMJ 320(7241): 1048-1053
28. Watterson A et al (2009) An evaluation of the expansion of nurse prescribing in Scotland. The Scottish Government http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/285830/0087056.pdf
29. Website links for organizations focused on Advanced Practice Nursing can be found at www.icn-apnetwork.org under Education/Practice and Communication Subgroup menus.